Welcome to P6!
Autumn Term 2023
Here are some of the objectives P6 will be covering in Term 1
- Place Value - Become familiar with using up to 6 digit numbers for rearranging, ordering and calculating.
- Odd & Even - Understand rules for odd & even numbers.
- Factors/Multiples & Square Numbers - Be able to identify factors and multiples successfully. Understand the concept of square numbers and know the first 12.
- Rounding - Be able to round a 5 or 6 digit number successfully to the nearest 10, 100 or 1000.
- Perimeter - Be able to calculate the perimeter of both regular and irregular shapes.
- Area - Be able to calculate the area of both regular and irregular shapes.
- Reflections - Reflect a complex shape across a regular or diagonal line.
- 2D Shape/Triangles - Be able to identify and 2D shapes and types of triangles along with their main properties.
- 3D Shape - Be able to identify more 3D shapes and know their main properties.
- Multiplying - Building on our multiplication techniques.
- Units of Time - Know all the units of time and be able to transfer between them.
Here are some of the objectives we will be covering in Term 1
- We will be developing our fictional writing with an adventure story, an invisible story, a ghost story at Halloween and a fable with a modern twist on the Christmas story.
- We will build on our poetry skills looking at various styles of poetry and writing our own, including one with a Remembrance theme.
- We will be looking at recount writing with a diary entry about an expedition to the Arctic.
- We will also be looking at procedural writing including how to make an igloo.
- We will be developing our skills in alphabetical order.
- The importance of the capital letter and all the times it is used.
- Common homophones such as were and their.
- Nouns, pronouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs - being able to identify them and use them correctly.
- Compound Words, synonyms & antonyms - understanding their meanings and using them correctly.
World Around Us
Here are some of the objectives we will be looking at in Term 1
Poles Apart is our topic for the term, looking at the unique habitats of the Arctic and the Antarctic.
- We will be looking at pictures and videos to help understand how amazing and different these landscapes are.
- Understanding where they are in the world and why they are so cold.
- Comparing and contrasting both locations.
- Looking at animals that are found in the Arctic and Antarctic and the adaptions they have to survive the extreme cold.
- We will also be looking at the Inuit people and how they live such different lives from ourselves.
- Studying the skill of building an igloo.
- Finally the major issue of global warming and how it is affecting these precious habitats.
It was lovely to enjoy some sunshine on our first day of school.